Video Content Marketing: The Value Beyond the View
By: Laurie SantaLucia
No longer a nice to have, video content has infiltrated the marketing consumer journey in its entirety and it’s not slowing down anytime soon. As advertisers continue seeking greater simplicity and transparency with their customers, the case for video as a multi-device solution to drive engagement with audiences is stronger than ever.
A changing landscape.
Facebook reported that nearly 100 million people in the US watch In-Stream Reserve content on Watch or within their News Feed and on Pages each month. Even more staggering, YouTube has nearly two billion users today, making up almost one-third of total internet users who are watching more than a billion hours of videos each day.
The competition for gaining and retaining consumer attention is steep. With 400 hours worth of video content being pushed to YouTube every minute, brands continue to face the unwavering question of how to rise above the sound barrier and stand out amongst the clutter.
Here are some top tips every brand marketer should consider before hopping on the branded video content train:
- Know your audience. How and when is it the best time to be in front of them? Taylor the brand experience you’re creating to them.
- Get real about your expectations. What are you looking to accomplish? Drive purchases? Awareness? Increase engagement?
- Consider the competition. Not just from a business perspective, but from a content perspective. How will you plan to stand out if you don’t know what the crowd looks, feels and sounds like?
- Plan the message for the medium. Each platform has its own unique nuances. Don’t ignore them. For example, 85% of videos on Facebook are watched without sound. In that case, most people prefer to see video content rather than hear it.
- Don’t bury the lead. 33% of viewers will stop watching a video if they’re not engaged within the first 30 seconds. 45% will stop after a minute. Develop your hook then cast your line.
Find the secret sauce.
Between 2016 and 2017, views on branded video content increased by 258% on Facebook and 99% on YouTube. But the value goes beyond the views.
While video production these days is affordable, efficient, and can be extremely effective, having a solid video strategy in place is a necessity.
The landscape is littered with research correlating video views with increased purchase intent and brand favorability. So what’s the secret sauce? Producing high impact content and pushing it out to audiences on the right platform at the right time? That’s the challenge brand marketers should be ready to face.
Video in our veins
From long-form to short-form and everything in between, video storytelling presents marketers with the opportunity to connect with audiences, making this medium relevant for almost any brand, across almost any industry. As strategists and creators, we’re passionate about bringing brand experiences to life and moving or inspiring audiences. From heartstring-driven stories about the care at Phoenix Children’s to introducing a political candidate running for state legislative office, or illustrating the peace of mind that comes with having a partner in banking with Desert Financial, we’ve been around the block.